RECIPE: Wellness Bowl
Updated: Mar 18
Our executive chef, Steve Barton, has held his busy position here at Ellerslie Event Centre for 23 years and is considered one of the godfathers of New Zealand’s hospitality industry.
He calculates he's served over two million people so far throughout his career (!).
On his busiest workdays, typically our racedays, Steve can be catering full meals for more than 2,500 people – and that’s not including the foodstuffs required for other various outlets on site, including the many casual café and bar spaces.
Steve has generously agreed to share some of his favourite recipes from our extensive menus for you to enjoy at home.
Today he’s chosen one of our healthy, simple-to-prepare wellness bowls that are a perfect accompaniment to long summer evenings.
· 50 gm quinoa
· 100 gm baby spinach leaves
· Half a courgette
· Handful of bean sprouts
· Two spring onions
· 25gm daikon radish
· 25gm pickled pink ginger
· 5gm acai powder
· 1 tbsp spoon +20 Manuka Honey
· 40ml sherry vinegar
· Your choice of edible flowers
First things first
· Cook the quinoa as per the instructions on the packet and set aside
Make up your bowl
· Slice the baby spinach, courgette, spring onions, daikon radish & pink ginger as finely as possible and toss those, along with the bean sprouts together in a bowl with the quinoa
· Put everything into your choice of serving bowl
Lashings of dressing
Make up your dressing and pour it over your bowl right before you want to serve
· Warm the honey
· Mix the acai powder, warmed honey and sherry vinegar together
· Pour the dressing over your bowl ingredients and garnish with the edible flowers